California takes allegations of domestic abuse and domestic assault very seriously. Under California Penal Code 273.5 (PC 273.5), domestic violence can be charged as a felony criminal offense when certain factors are met. A conviction under this statute carries a maximum sentence of four years in prison and a $6,000 fine.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, our California domestic violence defense lawyer is a compassionate, results-driven advocate for clients. We understand the stress and challenges of facing domestic violence accusations. With extensive experience handling misdemeanor and felony cases, our team will protect your rights. Call us now to schedule a free, strictly confidential consultation.
In California, felony domestic violence charges most often fall under Penal Code 273.5. It is also known as the corporal injury statute. Here are the key things to know about felony charges under California PC 273.5:
- A defendant violates California’s felony domestic violence statute when they “willfully inflict” a corporal injury on an intimate partner.
- California defines a corporal injury as one that results in a “traumatic condition”—it is a broad definition. Many injuries, including visible bruises, can qualify under the law.
- Penal Code 273.5 covers domestic violence against intimate partners. The law defines that as a spouse, cohabitant, co-parent, a person in a dating-like relationship, or any former partner.
- A defendant convicted of felony domestic violence in California could face two to four years in state prison.
- There could be family law implications to a felony domestic violence conviction. Parents should take special care in these cases.
Felony domestic violence charges should never be taken lightly. A conviction could cost you your clean record, your freedom, and even future job opportunities. Further, if you are a parent, a conviction could undermine your family law rights. During difficult times, you need a reliable advocate on your side. With more than two decades of criminal law experience in Ventura County, domestic violence defense lawyer David Lehr is standing by, ready to help.
Not all domestic violence allegations are fair or legitimate. These cases are complicated and false charges are sometimes filed against innocent people. There are several different legal defenses that can be raised against a domestic violence charge, including:
- Self Defense: You have the right to defend yourself, your children, and other vulnerable people. Self defense may be a valid legal defense against a felony domestic violence charge.
- False Allegations: Perhaps no criminal charge is more prone to false allegations than domestic violence. You can also defend these charges on the grounds that you are innocent.
- Accidental Injury: Domestic violence requires ill-intent. Although a somewhat tricky defense, you could potentially defend a felony domestic violence charge on the grounds that the injury to a spouse/partner was unintentional.
If you or a loved one is facing a felony domestic violence charge in Southern California, we are more than ready to help. Call our Ventura law office now to request a free, confidential review and assessment of your case.
If you have been charged with
felony domestic violence, call 805-477-0070 now.
We offer free, strictly private initial legal consultations.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, our Ventura County domestic violence defense lawyer has the legal expertise and professional skills that you can rely on for the best possible outcome in your case. We serve communities throughout the whole region, including Ventura, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Oxnard, and Camarillo, California. Please be aware that this website is for informational purposes and that no attorney/client relationship has been created.
MEET OUR TEAM
Our law firm provides honest, thoughtful, clear, and effective guidance and support to our clients. We will lead you through the difficult times and help you secure your future.
This firm is a "unicorn." Honest, dedicated, and kind, as well as excellent and honorable in their practice.
He listened to my concerns and is willing to go the extra mile. He is really knowledgeable and responds quickly.
Thanks to David and Daniel, my life is back on track.
Caring and professional attorneys that will do whatever they can to help you legally, and whatever they can offer you after the fact. They are exemplary human beings and both deserve recognition for all of their efforts in every happenstance.
David has provided awesome support during some of our darkest days. Even went out of his way to help my son get into programs. David is very well connected. If you need effective and immediate legal counsel he should be the first attorney you call.
He actually takes the time to listen to you and make you feel like you matter.
David is fantastic. He gives you everything he has, he cares, thinks soooo fast on his feet, and is very intelligent.
David was very professional, direct, informative and no BS. He has a great reputation. I spoke with a LOT of other individuals who have had legal troubles, David Lehr was the most often recommended Lawyer and he has an excellent track record.
David Lehr not only represented me thoroughly, effectively, and honestly but he also gave great thought, concern, and insight to my needs. He handled my affairs promptly and I found success in all areas of his dealings. I could not have had a better lawyer. I am forever grateful.