Penalties for DUIs Involving Injury or Death
The penalties for DUIs involving injury or death can be severe—up to and including life in prison if you have a previous DUI conviction and cause an accident that ends someone else’s life. In these types of cases, it is absolutely crucial to have an experienced Ventura DUI defense attorney represent you.
Penalties for Ventura DUIs Involving Injury
The punishment for a DUI resulting in personal injury can vary a great deal depending on the circumstances of the accident, the severity of the accident, and whether you have any prior DUI or “DUI with injury” convictions within the past ten years. DUIs resulting in personal injury are “wobblers,” meaning that they can be charged either as misdemeanors or felonies. The following lists summarize the possible punishment for DUIs involving injuries in Ventura County:
Punishment for Misdemeanor DUI with Injury
- Up to $5,000 in fines
- Up to one year in jail, with a minimum sentence of five days
- Three to five years of informal probation
- Mandatory attendance of the Drinking Driver Program (alcohol school) for anywhere from three to thirty months at your expense
- Up to a three-year driver’s license suspension
Punishment for Felony DUI with Injury
- Up to $5,000 in fines
- Up to thirteen years in prison for cases involving serious injury (two to four years as a baseline sentence, plus up to six years consecutive for causing serious injury, plus up to three additional years if there are multiple victims)
- Drinking Driver Program (alcohol school) for eighteen or thirty months at your expense
- Up to a five-year driver’s license suspension
- Designation as a habitual traffic offender for three years
- One “strike” under California’s Three Strikes Law for cases involving serious injury
Penalties for Ventura DUIs Involving Death
DUIs resulting in death can be prosecuted as three different criminal offenses depending on the severity of your alleged fault, and whether you have previously been convicted of a California DUI. The possible punishment depends on the specific crime with which you are charged.
Click here to read more about the different criminal charges for DUIs involving death.
Punishment for DUIs Resulting in Death
- Vehicular Manslaughter While Intoxicated (Misdemeanor) – up to $1,000 in fines and a year in jail, and other DUI-related penalties (probation, Drinking Driver Program, license suspension).
- Vehicular Manslaughter While Intoxicated (Felony) – up to $10,000 in fines and ten years in prison, a “strike” under California’s Three Strikes Law, and other DUI-related penalties.
- Gross Vehicular Manslaughter While Intoxicated – up to $10,000 in fines and sixteen years in prison, a “strike” under California’s Three Strikes Law, and other DUI-related penalties.
- Second-Degree DUI Murder (Watson Murder) – up to $10,000 in fines, fifteen years to life in prison, a “strike” under California’s Three Strikes Law, and other DUI-related penalties.
Contact a Ventura DUI Lawyer About Your Case
If you are facing possible charges for a DUI involving injury or death, it is important that you get started right away preparing your defense. Any delay can result in lost opportunities to uncover or develop evidence that might be able to keep you out of prison. For more information, please contact us immediately to schedule a free consultation.
Located in Ventura, we serve clients in Oxnard, Camarillo and throughout Ventura County.
MEET OUR TEAM
Our law firm provides honest, thoughtful, clear, and effective guidance and support to our clients. We will lead you through the difficult times and help you secure your future.
This firm is a "unicorn." Honest, dedicated, and kind, as well as excellent and honorable in their practice.
He listened to my concerns and is willing to go the extra mile. He is really knowledgeable and responds quickly.
Thanks to David and Daniel, my life is back on track.
Caring and professional attorneys that will do whatever they can to help you legally, and whatever they can offer you after the fact. They are exemplary human beings and both deserve recognition for all of their efforts in every happenstance.
David has provided awesome support during some of our darkest days. Even went out of his way to help my son get into programs. David is very well connected. If you need effective and immediate legal counsel he should be the first attorney you call.
He actually takes the time to listen to you and make you feel like you matter.
David is fantastic. He gives you everything he has, he cares, thinks soooo fast on his feet, and is very intelligent.
David was very professional, direct, informative and no BS. He has a great reputation. I spoke with a LOT of other individuals who have had legal troubles, David Lehr was the most often recommended Lawyer and he has an excellent track record.
David Lehr not only represented me thoroughly, effectively, and honestly but he also gave great thought, concern, and insight to my needs. He handled my affairs promptly and I found success in all areas of his dealings. I could not have had a better lawyer. I am forever grateful.