One of the most serious sex crimes offenses in California is sexual intercourse or sodomy against a victim who under the age of 10 years old. Under California Penal Code 288.7 (PC 288.7), a conviction of this crime could result in a prison sentence of 25 years to life. An offender is also required to register as a tier-three sex offender.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, our Ventura County sex crimes defense lawyer has the legal knowledge and professional skills to defend child sex crimes charged under PC 288.7. If you or your loved one is facing this serious felony sex offense, you need immediate representation. Call our Ventura law office today for a free, fully confidential initial consultation.
California Penal Code 288.7 is the criminal statute the covers certain sexual acts with a child under the age of 10. Here is an overview of the most important things to know about PC 288.7:
- The section of the criminal code is one of the primary child molestation laws in the state of California.
- The sex acts covered by the statute include sexual intercourse, sexual penetration, sodomy, and oral copulation.
- Charges can only be brought under this statute against accused offender’s who are themselves at least 18 years of age.
- Sexual assault of a young child is one of the most serious offenses in California—a conviction carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.
- Anyone convicted of child sexual molestation under PC 288.7 must register as a tier-three sex offender. It is the most serious type of sex offender registration and it lasts for life.
A conviction under PC 288.7 will carry life-long consequences. You will be permanently registered as a potentially dangerous tier-three sex offender and you may be required to spend 25 years to life in state prison. If you are facing false allegations of child sexual molestation in Ventura County, it is imperative that you call an experienced criminal defense lawyer immediately.
Unfortunately, false sexual abuse and child molestation allegations happen. A number of different defenses can be raised against sexual abuse of a child under the age of 10. Some specific defenses that can be raised against a California PC 288.7 charge include:
- Mistake by a Child: It is possible a young child may mistake a lawful and appropriate act for sexually abusive behavior.
- Perpetrator Substitution: A child may have been a victim of sexual abuse, but may initially identify the wrong perpetrator.
- Coaching: In some cases, a bad-acting adult may coach a child to give inaccurate testimony of sexual abuse against an innocent adult.
If you or your family member is facing a child sexual abuse charge under PC 288.7, do not wait to take action. Our Ventura County sex crimes defense attorney is here to listen and help you determine the best path forward.
If you have been charged with
a sex crimes offense under PC 288.7, call 805-477-0070 now.
Our law firm provides free, strictly confidential case evaluation.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, we provide criminal defense representation to individuals facing felony sex crimes charges, including charges under California Penal Code 288.7. From our Ventura office, we represent people throughout Ventura County, including in Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Oxnard, Camarillo. Call us now to set up your no cost, fully private consultation. No criminal defense lawyer can guarantee any particular outcome. Visiting this site does not establish an attorney/client relationship.
MEET OUR TEAM
Our law firm provides honest, thoughtful, clear, and effective guidance and support to our clients. We will lead you through the difficult times and help you secure your future.
This firm is a "unicorn." Honest, dedicated, and kind, as well as excellent and honorable in their practice.
He listened to my concerns and is willing to go the extra mile. He is really knowledgeable and responds quickly.
Thanks to David and Daniel, my life is back on track.
Caring and professional attorneys that will do whatever they can to help you legally, and whatever they can offer you after the fact. They are exemplary human beings and both deserve recognition for all of their efforts in every happenstance.
David has provided awesome support during some of our darkest days. Even went out of his way to help my son get into programs. David is very well connected. If you need effective and immediate legal counsel he should be the first attorney you call.
He actually takes the time to listen to you and make you feel like you matter.
David is fantastic. He gives you everything he has, he cares, thinks soooo fast on his feet, and is very intelligent.
David was very professional, direct, informative and no BS. He has a great reputation. I spoke with a LOT of other individuals who have had legal troubles, David Lehr was the most often recommended Lawyer and he has an excellent track record.
David Lehr not only represented me thoroughly, effectively, and honestly but he also gave great thought, concern, and insight to my needs. He handled my affairs promptly and I found success in all areas of his dealings. I could not have had a better lawyer. I am forever grateful.