California has strict sex offender registration requirements. If you are supposed to register as a sex offender and you fail to do so, you can face criminal charge under California Penal Code 290 (PC 290). Depending on the specific circumstances of the case, failure to register may be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, our Ventura County sex crimes defense lawyer has extensive knowledge of the California sex offender registration requirements. If you have any questions about your obligations or if you were charged with violating state law, we can help. Call our Ventura, CA law office today for a free, confidential consultation.
California Penal Code 290 is the state’s primary sex offender registration enforcement provision. Here are five of the most important things to know about you responsibilities under PC 290:
- California Penal Code 290 is often referred to simply as the state’s Sex Offender Registration Act.
- There are three different tiers of sex offenders in California (1,2, and 3). Requirements vary based on your specific tier.
- As a general rule, sex offenders are required to register every time they move to a new location.
- Failure to comply with sex offender registration requirements is a criminal offense. It can be charged as a felony if the underlying crime was a felony.
- Criminal penalties for violating PC 290 can be significant. Among other things, an offender with a felony record could face up to three years in prison.
Law enforcement and prosecutors take sex offender registration requirements very seriously. An offender who violates their duties to register could face severe penalties—including being arrested and sent to prison. If you believe that you breached a registration requirement, you must take immediate action. As an experienced failure to register defense attorney, David Lehr will protect your rights.
While California has strict sex offender registration rules, there are a number of different legal defense available to charges under PC 290. If you are facing a failure to register charge, it is crucial that you consider every potential defense. You may be able to defend this criminal charge on the grounds of:
- Mistake by Authorities: In some cases, law enforcement authorities make errors. If the mistake is on the other side, you can defend a failure to register as a sex offender charge.
- Non Willful Violation (Lack of Understanding): To be a crime under California PC 290, failure to register must be willful. If you were genuinely unaware of your obligations, you may be able to avoid criminal liability for failure to register.
- Good Faith Mistake: Mistakes happen. If you make a good faith mistake in failing to keep up with sex offender registration requirement and worked to rectify the problem, prosecutors can drop PC 290 charges.
If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges for failing to properly register as a sex offender, our legal team is here to listen to your story and explain your options. Call our law firm now to get immediate guidance and support.
If you have been charged with
failing to register as a sex offender in California, call 805-477-0070 now.
We can provide you with a free, strictly private initial consultation.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, our California sex crimes defense lawyer is committed to providing solutions-oriented legal representation to individuals facing the full range of legal charges, including failure to register as a sex offender. Our law office is located in Ventura and we serve clients throughout the region, including in Camarillo, Oxnard, Simi Valley, and Thousand Oaks. No law firm can guarantee specific results in a criminal case. No attorney/client relationship has been created.
MEET OUR TEAM
Our law firm provides honest, thoughtful, clear, and effective guidance and support to our clients. We will lead you through the difficult times and help you secure your future.
This firm is a "unicorn." Honest, dedicated, and kind, as well as excellent and honorable in their practice.
He listened to my concerns and is willing to go the extra mile. He is really knowledgeable and responds quickly.
Thanks to David and Daniel, my life is back on track.
Caring and professional attorneys that will do whatever they can to help you legally, and whatever they can offer you after the fact. They are exemplary human beings and both deserve recognition for all of their efforts in every happenstance.
David has provided awesome support during some of our darkest days. Even went out of his way to help my son get into programs. David is very well connected. If you need effective and immediate legal counsel he should be the first attorney you call.
He actually takes the time to listen to you and make you feel like you matter.
David is fantastic. He gives you everything he has, he cares, thinks soooo fast on his feet, and is very intelligent.
David was very professional, direct, informative and no BS. He has a great reputation. I spoke with a LOT of other individuals who have had legal troubles, David Lehr was the most often recommended Lawyer and he has an excellent track record.
David Lehr not only represented me thoroughly, effectively, and honestly but he also gave great thought, concern, and insight to my needs. He handled my affairs promptly and I found success in all areas of his dealings. I could not have had a better lawyer. I am forever grateful.