Every sexual assault allegation must be taken seriously. A conviction on a rape, sexual assault, or sexual battery offense could result in jail time. That being said, not all sexual assault charges are equal. Some carry the possibility of life in prison. If you are accused of committing rape or sexual assault during a burglary, you may face a maximum sentence of life behind bars.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, our Ventura County sex crimes defense lawyer has the skills, knowledge, and legal expertise to handle the full spectrum of felony cases, including the charge of sexual assault during a burglary. To set up a free, strictly confidential consultation with a top-rated California criminal defense attorney, please call our Ventura law office today.
California Penal Code 220 (PC 220) covers the crime of assault with intent to commit a felony. Committing a sex crime during a burglary carries a serious enhancement of penalties. Here is what you need to know:
- Under California Penal Code 459, a burglary is a breaking and entering offense with intent to commit theft or another felony.
- Burglaries can be charged as misdemeanors or felonies depending on the underlying allegations.
- Contrary to a common misconception, burglary does not require actual or intended theft—breaking into a residence with the intent of committing a felony (such as sexual assault) is a burglary.
- Burglary with intent to commit a sexual assault falls under California Penal Code 667.61(d)(4)—the maximum sentence is 15 years to life.
- If convicted of rape or sexual assault during a burglary, a defendant may be required to register as a sexual offender for life.
Facing a sexual assault charge that carries a potential life sentence is stressful, unnerving, and all-around frightening. During these challenging times, you do not have to go up against police and prosecutors alone. Professional guidance is available. With more than 1,000 felony cases handled, Ventura County defense lawyer David Lehr has the professional skills and real world experience that you can trust.
The reality is that not all criminal charges are fair, accurate, or supported by the evidence. If you are facing a felony sexual assault charge, such as rape or attempted rape during a burglary, there are a number of defenses and defenses strategies available, including:
- Mistaken Identity: Burglaries are chaotic and complicated. The victim may not be able to accurately pick out the person who committed the crime.
- No Sexual Assault: A prosecutor may add to a burglary charge with sexual assault that simply did not take place.
- A Plea Agreement: In some cases, the best defense strategy is to focus on protecting your future. With a plea, prosecutors may drop certain charges, potentially including the sexual assault allegations.
If you or your family member was charged with rape/sexual assault during a burglary, we are here to listen your story and protect your rights. Give us a call or send us a message directly online for a free, no obligation consultation.
If you have been charged with
sexual assault during a burglary, call 805-477-0070 now.
We can provide you with a free, strictly confidential initial consultation.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, our California sexual assault defense attorney is a skilled, experienced advocate for defendants facing felony charges. If you or your loved one was arrested for sexual assault during a burglary, we can help. From our Ventura law office, we provide criminal defense services throughout the region, including in Simi Valley, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, and Oxnard. This website is meant for informational purposes. It does not establish an attorney/client relationship.
MEET OUR TEAM
Our law firm provides honest, thoughtful, clear, and effective guidance and support to our clients. We will lead you through the difficult times and help you secure your future.
This firm is a "unicorn." Honest, dedicated, and kind, as well as excellent and honorable in their practice.
He listened to my concerns and is willing to go the extra mile. He is really knowledgeable and responds quickly.
Thanks to David and Daniel, my life is back on track.
Caring and professional attorneys that will do whatever they can to help you legally, and whatever they can offer you after the fact. They are exemplary human beings and both deserve recognition for all of their efforts in every happenstance.
David has provided awesome support during some of our darkest days. Even went out of his way to help my son get into programs. David is very well connected. If you need effective and immediate legal counsel he should be the first attorney you call.
He actually takes the time to listen to you and make you feel like you matter.
David is fantastic. He gives you everything he has, he cares, thinks soooo fast on his feet, and is very intelligent.
David was very professional, direct, informative and no BS. He has a great reputation. I spoke with a LOT of other individuals who have had legal troubles, David Lehr was the most often recommended Lawyer and he has an excellent track record.
David Lehr not only represented me thoroughly, effectively, and honestly but he also gave great thought, concern, and insight to my needs. He handled my affairs promptly and I found success in all areas of his dealings. I could not have had a better lawyer. I am forever grateful.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation
If you have questions regarding other service offerings do not hesitate to send us a message.