Every sexual assault or sexual misconduct allegation must be taken seriously. A defendant accused of more than one sexual assault offense may face heightened criminal penalties. They could be classified as a habitual sexual offender under California Penal Code 667.71 (PC 667.71). This statute carries penalties of 25 years to life in state prison.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, our Ventura County sex crimes defense attorney is an aggressive, experienced advocate for clients. If you are facing sexual assault charges under California’s strict habitual offender law, you need a skilled advocate on your side. Call our Ventura law office today to set up a free, fully confidential consultation with a lawyer.
California Penal Code 667.71 is the state’s habitual sexual offender statute. Here is an overview of some of the most important things that defendants need to know about PC 667.61:
- Under California’s habitual sexual offender law, any person convicted of a certain sex crime and then later convicted of the same (or similar) sex crime could face enhanced criminal penalties.
- Sex offenses that qualify under the state include rape (PC 261) and lewd acts with a child (PC 288).
- Prosecutors retain some discretion in handled cases, They are not required to seek the habitual offender enhancement in every case.
- The maximum punishment for a conviction under PC 667.61 is 25 years to life in prison.
- A conviction under the statute require automatic lifetime registration as a sex offender in California.
Being charged as a habitual sexual offender under California PC 667.71 is one of the most serious criminal allegations that a person can ever face. A conviction could result in you spending the remainder of your life in state prison. You need the best legal representation. With more than 1,000 felony cases handled, Ventura County criminal defense lawyer David Lehr is available to help.
If you are facing potential charges under California habitual sexual offender statute, your case requires the highest level of attention. There are several different defenses and legal strategies available to defendants in this situation, including:
- Consent Defense: Unless your charges involve allegations against a minor, you can defend them on the grounds that lawful consent was obtained.
- False Charges: The simple reality is that false allegations happen. Prosecutors have the burden of proof. False and unsubstantiated sex crimes charges should be dismissed.
- Plea Agreement: In some cases, a plea agreement may be the most sensible approach. As noted above, the habitual sex offender enhancement is not mandatory. A prosecutor may take it (and life in prison) off the table in a plea agreement.
If you or a loved one is facing 25 years to life under California’s habitual sexual offender law, we are available to help. Give our Ventura office a call now or reach out to us online for a free initial consultation.
If you have been charged with
sexual assault under the habitual offender law, call 805-477-0070 now.
We can provide you with a free case review.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, our California criminal defense lawyer provides strong, trustworthy representation to individuals facing felony charges, including potential life in prison under the state’s habitual sexual offender law. We represent clients throughout all of Ventura County, including in Ventura, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Oxnard, and Camarillo, California. Please be aware that no specific outcome can be guaranteed and no attorney/client relationship has been established.
MEET OUR TEAM
Our law firm provides honest, thoughtful, clear, and effective guidance and support to our clients. We will lead you through the difficult times and help you secure your future.
This firm is a "unicorn." Honest, dedicated, and kind, as well as excellent and honorable in their practice.
He listened to my concerns and is willing to go the extra mile. He is really knowledgeable and responds quickly.
Thanks to David and Daniel, my life is back on track.
Caring and professional attorneys that will do whatever they can to help you legally, and whatever they can offer you after the fact. They are exemplary human beings and both deserve recognition for all of their efforts in every happenstance.
David has provided awesome support during some of our darkest days. Even went out of his way to help my son get into programs. David is very well connected. If you need effective and immediate legal counsel he should be the first attorney you call.
He actually takes the time to listen to you and make you feel like you matter.
David is fantastic. He gives you everything he has, he cares, thinks soooo fast on his feet, and is very intelligent.
David was very professional, direct, informative and no BS. He has a great reputation. I spoke with a LOT of other individuals who have had legal troubles, David Lehr was the most often recommended Lawyer and he has an excellent track record.
David Lehr not only represented me thoroughly, effectively, and honestly but he also gave great thought, concern, and insight to my needs. He handled my affairs promptly and I found success in all areas of his dealings. I could not have had a better lawyer. I am forever grateful.