If you have been arrested in California, hiring a criminal defense attorney is the single most important thing you should do. California is notorious for imposing some of the harshest penalties on those convicted of a crime, and the three-strikes law makes it particularly difficult for those considered repeat offenders.
From the moment you hire a criminal defense lawyer, they will start working on your case. A lawyer will examine the physical evidence against you, analyze police reports, and speak to witnesses. A lawyer will also consider the arguments of law enforcement and the prosecution and refute their arguments to give you the best chance of beating your charges.
People face criminal charges every day in California, whether they are innocent, made a mistake, or were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. A criminal defense lawyer can help with many types of charges, including:
- DUIs, which can result in high fines, possible jail time, and a driver’s license suspension
- Murder, including first and second-degree murder, capital murder, and voluntary, involuntary, and vehicular manslaughter
- Juvenile offenses, including underage drinking, property crimes, driving offenses, and theft crimes
- Sex crimes, such as rape and distributing child pornography, which can result in mandatory sex offender registration
- Theft crimes, including petty theft, grand theft, looting, shoplifting, embezzlement, and theft by false pretenses
It is extremely important that anyone facing charges speaks to a Ventura criminal defense lawyer. California has a three-strikes sentencing law. Under this law, certain offenses are considered strikes and after a person is convicted of more than two of these crimes, the penalties they face become much harsher. Penalties are doubled after a second offense and a third conviction will result in 25 years to life in prison.
Not every prior offense is a strike under the law. In order for a crime to be considered a strike offense, it needs to be a serious or violent felony. Other important things to know about the three-strike sentencing law are as follows:
- To be considered a third strike defendant, you must have two prior eligible convictions and be currently charged with another eligible crime.
- If you are convicted of a second or third strike offense, you will have to serve 80% of your sentence before being released for time served on good behavior.
- If you are convicted of a third offense that is not a strike offense, you will not receive a strike but will still have to serve double the normal sentence.
The penalties levied under the three strikes law are harsh. If you or a loved one is facing charges that could count as a strike, it is essential to contact a Ventura criminal defense lawyer.
If you have been charged with
A crime in California, call 805-477-0070 now.
We can provide you with a free case review.
Being charged with a crime is extremely scary, particularly since California has some of the harshest sentencing laws in the country. If you have been charged with a criminal offense, it is critical that you reach out to our Ventura criminal defense lawyer at The Law Offices of David Lehr. We know the defenses available to help you beat your charges and the penalties that come with a conviction. Call us today or contact us online to schedule a free case review.
MEET OUR TEAM
Our law firm provides honest, thoughtful, clear, and effective guidance and support to our clients. We will lead you through the difficult times and help you secure your future.
This firm is a "unicorn." Honest, dedicated, and kind, as well as excellent and honorable in their practice.
He listened to my concerns and is willing to go the extra mile. He is really knowledgeable and responds quickly.
Thanks to David and Daniel, my life is back on track.
Caring and professional attorneys that will do whatever they can to help you legally, and whatever they can offer you after the fact. They are exemplary human beings and both deserve recognition for all of their efforts in every happenstance.
David has provided awesome support during some of our darkest days. Even went out of his way to help my son get into programs. David is very well connected. If you need effective and immediate legal counsel he should be the first attorney you call.
He actually takes the time to listen to you and make you feel like you matter.
David is fantastic. He gives you everything he has, he cares, thinks soooo fast on his feet, and is very intelligent.
David was very professional, direct, informative and no BS. He has a great reputation. I spoke with a LOT of other individuals who have had legal troubles, David Lehr was the most often recommended Lawyer and he has an excellent track record.
David Lehr not only represented me thoroughly, effectively, and honestly but he also gave great thought, concern, and insight to my needs. He handled my affairs promptly and I found success in all areas of his dealings. I could not have had a better lawyer. I am forever grateful.