Manslaughter is a criminal charge that results from the negligent death of someone while you are behind the wheel of a vehicle. You can be charged with manslaughter when someone dies as a result of a vehicle accident. Vehicular manslaughter can be either a misdemeanor or a felony.
Manslaughter charges may occur when you hit and kill a pedestrian, when your own passenger dies as a result of a negligent crash, or someone in a vehicle you hit died due to injuries you caused by your negligent actions. The state charges each case based on the details and previous convictions.
The California Penal Code 192 provides details of the charges and penalties for vehicular manslaughter. In order to be found guilty, the prosecutor must prove all of the following facts:
- While you were driving, you committed an infraction or unlawful act. An infraction can be speeding, texting while driving or driving during commission of a crime, and more.
- The misdemeanor or infraction was dangerous to human life. Many traffic infractions are inherently dangerous. For instance, driving over the speed limit is unsafe.
- You exhibited negligence in your action. Negligence means that you knew or should have known that your action could cause harm to another.
- The infraction caused the death of another person. The other party may be a pedestrian, passenger, or other person hurt by your negligence.
- To convict you of vehicular manslaughter, the prosecutor must prove each element beyond a reasonable doubt. Depending on case factors, the prosecutor may charge the crime as a misdemeanor or felony.
A misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter conviction could result in up to a year in jail. A felony vehicular manslaughter conviction could result in penalties of up to six years in prison. In addition to imprisonment, your driver’s license could be suspended. Penalties could be higher if you have previous convictions. Your attorney will work to reduce charges and penalties in your case.
Vehicular manslaughter charges are serious and if you are convicted you could suffer harsh consequences. It is critical to hire a criminal defense attorney quickly after the accident to prevent loss of evidence that could be crucial to your defense.
- Vehicular manslaughter is part of the California three strikes law (Penal Code Section 667). This law states that punishments for felony crimes are enhanced for those who have had previous convictions.
- The penalties for manslaughter double for someone convicted of a second strike felony offense. The penalties for a third strike include a prison sentence of 25 years to life.
- The DMV can suspend your driver’s license if you are convicted of vehicular manslaughter. Your attorney may help try to reduce charges from felony to misdemeanor if the facts warrant.
If you or a loved one is facing manslaughter charges, call our firm today. We are here to listen. We are here to help, and we can help you fight for your future. Give us a call today.
If you have been charged with
vehicular manslaughter, call 805-477-0070 now.
We can provide you with a free case review.
The Law Offices of David Lehr provides legal representation to individuals facing felony charges of vehicular manslaughter in Ventura, Oxnard, and Camarillo, California. No attorney or law firm can make any promises or guarantee an outcome for your criminal case. The contents presented on this site are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Visiting this website does not establish an attorney/client relationship.
MEET OUR TEAM
Our law firm provides honest, thoughtful, clear, and effective guidance and support to our clients. We will lead you through the difficult times and help you secure your future.
This firm is a "unicorn." Honest, dedicated, and kind, as well as excellent and honorable in their practice.
He listened to my concerns and is willing to go the extra mile. He is really knowledgeable and responds quickly.
Thanks to David and Daniel, my life is back on track.
Caring and professional attorneys that will do whatever they can to help you legally, and whatever they can offer you after the fact. They are exemplary human beings and both deserve recognition for all of their efforts in every happenstance.
David has provided awesome support during some of our darkest days. Even went out of his way to help my son get into programs. David is very well connected. If you need effective and immediate legal counsel he should be the first attorney you call.
He actually takes the time to listen to you and make you feel like you matter.
David is fantastic. He gives you everything he has, he cares, thinks soooo fast on his feet, and is very intelligent.
David was very professional, direct, informative and no BS. He has a great reputation. I spoke with a LOT of other individuals who have had legal troubles, David Lehr was the most often recommended Lawyer and he has an excellent track record.
David Lehr not only represented me thoroughly, effectively, and honestly but he also gave great thought, concern, and insight to my needs. He handled my affairs promptly and I found success in all areas of his dealings. I could not have had a better lawyer. I am forever grateful.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation
If you have questions regarding other service offerings do not hesitate to send us a message.