In California, oral copulation is defined as contact—no matter how slight—between one person’s mouth and another person’s sexual organs or anus. Under California Penal Code 287(2)(A), oral copulation is sexual assault if it committed through the use of force, violence, or duress or if it is committed against a person who cannot consent.
At the Law Office of David Lehr, our California sexual assault defense lawyer has the knowledge, skills, and legal experience to defend clients facing unlawful oral copulation charges under California PC 287. If you or your loved one was arrested for a sex crimes offenses, call our Ventura law office now to set up a free, completely private initial consultation.
Most oral copulation charges fall under California Penal Code 287. Here are some of the most important things you need to know about this section of California’s sex crimes law:
- Oral copulation can occur in either direction—a perpetrator may make mouth-to-genital contact with the victim or force the victim to use their mouth.
- When oral copulation is committed by “force, violence, duress, menace, or fear” is a felony offense in California.
- A conviction on felony sex crimes charges under PC 287 carries between three and eight years in state prison and a maximum $10,000 fine.
- A person convicted of sexual assault via oral copulation may be required to register as a sexual offender for the rest of their life.
- Under California 288a(b), oral sex with a minor can be charged as a statutory rape offense.
Sexual battery committed via oral copulation is a very serious criminal offense. A conviction could result in significant jail time and even lifetime registration as a sex offender. You do not have to go up against state prosecutors alone. If you or your loved one is facing sex crimes allegations, contact Ventura County sexual battery defense lawyer David Lehr for immediate help with you case.
Not all sexual abuse allegations are legitimate. Every defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty. You have every right to defend yourself. Some of the most common legal defenses raised against oral copulation sexual assault charges include:
- Consent: Unless charged with a statutory rape offense, oral copulation charges can be defended on the grounds that consent was given.
- Mistaken Identity: If you were wrongly identified as the perpetrator by the victim or a third party witness, you can raise a defense on those grounds.
- False Allegations: The burden of proof is on the prosecution. False or unsubstantiated oral copulation sexual battery charges should be dismissed.
If you or a loved one is facing oral-based sexual assault charges, we are here to listen to your story and help protect your rights. Give us a call today to arrange a no cost, no obligation consultation with an experienced attorney.
If you have been charged with
sexual assault due to oral copulation, call 805-477-0070 now.
We can provide you with a free, confidential case review.
At the Law Offices of David Lehr, our California sex crimes defense attorney provides aggressive, effective legal representation to individuals facing misdemeanor and felony charges, including oral copulation charges. With an office in Ventura, we serve defendants throughout the entire region, including in Oxnard, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, and Simi Valley. The content on this page is for informational purposes and no attorney/client relationship has been established.
MEET OUR TEAM
Our law firm provides honest, thoughtful, clear, and effective guidance and support to our clients. We will lead you through the difficult times and help you secure your future.
This firm is a "unicorn." Honest, dedicated, and kind, as well as excellent and honorable in their practice.
He listened to my concerns and is willing to go the extra mile. He is really knowledgeable and responds quickly.
Thanks to David and Daniel, my life is back on track.
Caring and professional attorneys that will do whatever they can to help you legally, and whatever they can offer you after the fact. They are exemplary human beings and both deserve recognition for all of their efforts in every happenstance.
David has provided awesome support during some of our darkest days. Even went out of his way to help my son get into programs. David is very well connected. If you need effective and immediate legal counsel he should be the first attorney you call.
He actually takes the time to listen to you and make you feel like you matter.
David is fantastic. He gives you everything he has, he cares, thinks soooo fast on his feet, and is very intelligent.
David was very professional, direct, informative and no BS. He has a great reputation. I spoke with a LOT of other individuals who have had legal troubles, David Lehr was the most often recommended Lawyer and he has an excellent track record.
David Lehr not only represented me thoroughly, effectively, and honestly but he also gave great thought, concern, and insight to my needs. He handled my affairs promptly and I found success in all areas of his dealings. I could not have had a better lawyer. I am forever grateful.